Re: startup options

The programs started up at boot time in each runlevel are contoled by the scripts in /etc/rc<runlevel>.d, in debian the graphical runlevel is 2. The scripts whose first letter is 'S', are programs that will be started up in this runlevel, if this letter is 'K', the program is killed if it has been started before.
What you can do is to change the name of the script, swapping S with K.

If you want to desactivate a known service and it have dkpg configuration, you can do dpkg-reconfigure <program> (for ssh -> dpkg-reconfigure sshd) and desactivate it at boot time.

Good luck!

Christopher J. Noyes escribió:
what file controls what programs are started up at boot time. I installed some stuff, but now don't want them starting up every time it boots. I would like to remove them for the time being but be able to add them again later if I want them.
Christopher J. Noyes

--
-- In TUX I trust --
kronoss:

Linux agatha 2.6.3 #1 Sat Feb 28 15:12:59 CET 2004 i686 GNU/Linux