"The filesystem was not created" during installation

Hardware:
MSI K7T266 Pro2-A motherboard w/ AMD Athlon XP 1200
Maxtor 40 GB hard drive

Software:
Debian Woody 3.0 r1

The motherboard is new (never used, even though it's an older model), recently purchased on Ebay. The hard drive is not new, but until last week I was using it in a different Debian system that ran for around 2.5 years with no problems (originally Potato, upgraded to Woody).

I can boot off the first install CD and create partitions with no problem. The swap partition (hda4, 2 GB) initializes fine, as does hda1 (5 GB). When initializing the remaining partitions (hda2, 10 GB, and hda3, 23 GB), the process stops and returns a "The filesystem was not created" error. The installation then hangs. I tried using both ext2 and ext3 with the same results. This happens no matter which partition I try to initialize, whether or not I do a bad block scan, and also when I tried to create one big partition as an experiment.

In my troubleshooting efforts I booted off a recent Knoppix CD. Once booted up, I ran mkfs, which ran fine on hda1 but segfaulted and hung the system on hda2. A Windows 2000 blue screened during installation.

I'm guessing the problem might be with the IDE controller on this motherboard, but I haven't been able to find anything on the web about it. The board has a built in Promise IDE RAID controller, which is disabled in the BIOS (although I tried it both ways). S.M.A.R.T. is also disabled. Unfortunately, I don't have another hard drive or motherboard to try, so I'm looking for a little insight into the problem before I spend money on new hardware that may not fix the problem.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Kenn