Re: cdrecord 2.01a16 and ATAPI CD/R

lloyd declaimed:
> Soumyadip Modak wrote:
> >cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI says:
> [...]
> >        0,1,0     1) 'ASUS    ' 'CRW-5224A       ' '1.20' Removable
> >CD-ROM
>
> it worked ok for me today.  i had to add -driveropts=burnfree though, as in:
>
> cdrecord -v dev=ATAPI:0,1,0 -driveropts=burnfree -dao -useinfo *.wav
This is awesome! Where did you find the documentation for how to form
the dev command? I was using /dev/sg1 until 2.6.3 broke things (well,
the new mb/cpu combo may have helped). Substituting the proper
ATAPI:x,x,x string for /dev/sg1 got me working again.

BTW: I agree with the rants about cdr being too hard in Linux, a couple
of things I've learned:

0. Per the above thread, use cdrecord -scanbus dev=ATAPI to find the
correct x,y,z designation for your burner. Then use "ATAPI:x,y,z" for
the device designation in cdrtoaster.

1. Despite all of the docs & hints from cdrtoaster & cdrecord, you DON'T
need ide-scsi, kernel parameters, or other dev customizations if a)
you're running devfs or b) you have a kernel with devfs built in (I
_believe_ this started with 2.5.x).

2. cdrtoaster doesn't have docs because it's just a shell script. I've
spent >1 year cursing everytime I manually changed "/dev/sg0" to
"/dev/sg1" and wishing cdrtoaster had a man page. Now I've simply edited
it to default the device declaration to "ATAPI:1,0,0", and set the
default speed to 12 instead of 2.

Color me "duh!", PM
--
Paul Mackinney