Re: Goodbye stable?

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
Am Sonntag, 28. März 2004 18:32 schrieb Jody Grafals:

I think for the most part many running debian on the desktop are already
using sarge or sid, and I must say I am run several servers with woody,
I like it just the way it is, thank you very much.

I enjoy the stability of woody also on the desktop but have to admit that the KDE I use is a backported one and it runs quit stable, too. I fear that sarge is too unstable for my daily work, and I've heard really bad things about debian-installer.

I've experienced really great things with the debian-installer.

What about security? I'm online all the time my computer is on. Are the sarge versions of iptables and ssh stable enough to give me good security? If you have a non-Debian distribution, you may get quick security updates, with sarge, you don't get them.

I noticed there are some -testing security update entries for apt sources.list.

But as you say in the next paragraph, stable makes a great package for servers. Assumption is that non-stable implies Workstations.

You don't really run workstations directly on the internet do you?

You might consider getting yourself some kind of hardware based firewall/NAT box. Either buy an appliance, of cobble together a PC for ip-cop or similar.

If your running a server the latest is not always the greatest, debian
woody is a great server OS, as is.

I agree with you in part. The problem is that you sometimes need newer software also for a server.

Then PIN.