Re: ATI driver dependency hell

On Sun, Mar 28, 2004 at 12:42:28PM +0200, Nicos Gollan wrote:
> After installing the ATI fglrx driver and modifying the xlibmesa-gl-dev
> package not to depend on a specific version of xlibmesa-gl, each time I
> want to dist-upgrade, a new version of xlibmesa-gl-dev is to be
> installed and apt wants to remove the fglrx package.
>
> How do I tell apt that it can shove xlibmesa-gl and install
> xlibmesa-gl-dev no matter what it depends on?

 I haven't found an answer to that question. I will tell you that at
 some point I just got tired of fixing dependencies, putting hold on
 packages (which happens a lot if yoyu are running sid + ati
 binaries), and ditched the whole ati binary, settling for a
 vesa. Vesa doesn't give me the best performance (for instance, allows
 me to switch to console only during the first 2-3 minutes of X
 running), but for me is more less acceptable, since I don't play many
 games that require heavy X performance. It is a pitty, with Radeon
 9800.
HTH.