Re: A way of setting up a computer for routing *just* port 113?

> Would it be possible to setup, say, my desktop machine, or any other
> Debian machine, to be a router for *just* port 113? So I could forward
> port 113 on the WAN to that machine, and then that machine could
> automatically share port 113 with any machine on the home LAN? This
> would include the Windows boxes that form the unfortunate majority on
> the LAN. If so, what would be the requirements?

Okay, so your router-box-thing *always* forwards 113 to the Debian box,
and the Debian box is then intelligent enough to know to which of your
other home machines to send the request? Which depends on it having seen
the outgoing request that triggered the remote end's IDENT request.

I know that masquerading/NAT with 'ipchains' supports *some* sort of
'related' traffic (like control and data ports on FTP connections), but
I am pretty sure that it would not spot that the incoming IDENT request
is related to the previous outgoing IRC client connection request.

But ... there is a program 'mident' for providing IDENT support on
networks with masquerading, for doing something like this. Check
http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/search_packages.pl?keywords=mident&searchon=names&subword=1&version=all&release=all

Perhaps that will help you.

Alexis