problem with monitor resolution after install

I recently installed Debian on my Power Mac 9600 and have a problem starting XFree86. I'm convinced the problem is an error with the monitor resolutions but don't know how change the resolutions and frequencies X11 uses. In Yellow Dog Linux, I would use Xautoconfig to generate a default config and then would work from it, but unfortunately I am unable to find Xautoconfig in Debian. Being experienced Debian people, could you please direct me to a solution? TIA.