Re: email signatures

Incoming from Daniel Teichert:
> And I heard Paul Johnson exclaim:
> > "Matthew Joyce" <MJoyce@ccia.org.au> writes:
> > > Thanks everyone, and for the record I do not intend to actual use it for
> > > a disclaimer which I personally find pointless, but our fundraising
> > > department want to promote charity events.
> >
> > That's not an improvement.  That's just using legitimate mail to
> > spam.  Not cool.
> >
> > - --
> >  .''`.     Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca>
> > : :'  :
> > `. `'`     proud Debian admin and user
> >   `-       Debian.  Because it *must* work.  debian.org
> aboutdebian.com
>
> Err... how would this materially differ from advertising, say, the
> Debian distribution in your sig?

Ha!  Good one Daniel.  fwiw, I thought Paul's comment was ludicrous.

Spam is UCE/UBE.  Assuming the email that the .sig arrives in isn't
UCE/UBE, whatever arrives with that email (barring malware payloads)
can't be described as UCE/UBE/Spam.  It might be stupid as recent
discussions of attached disclaimers can attest, but they're not
UCE/UBE/Spam either.

There's a lot worse things that can happen in a .sig than charity
promotions.  Take a gander through alt.ascii-art for some real
travesties.

- -