Re: ssh error "Disconnecting: Bad packet length 3265385124."

On Sat, Mar 27, 2004 at 12:09:52PM +0100, Vincent Lefevre wrote:
} A ssh connection was closed due to the following error:
}
}   Disconnecting: Bad packet length 3265385124.
}
} Where does this come from? Is it a bug?

I have experienced this same problem. I have two machines behind a
NAT/firewall. Machine A is a PPC 604 running Debian, and its port 22
looks like port 22 on the router's IP address. Machine B is a Celeron
running Debian, and its port 22 looks like port 23 on the router's IP
address. Both are running the same version (3.8p1) of sshd and both have
identical sshd_config files.

When I make connections to these two machines from work, through the
firewall there, I lose the connection to machine B with some regularity
with a bad packet length error. I rarely lose the connection with
machine A, and I don't remember ever getting a bad packet length error.

This isolates the problem to being either a weird architecture issue or
a difference in how the firewall at work deals with the two ports. I
don't have a good way of testing it from outside the firewall at work,
however, since I can't dependably reproduce it.

If anyone is working on this and wants me to try anything to get more
information, let me know. I'll be in at work on Monday and can play with
it.

} TIAFAI,
--Greg