How to get multimedia keys (volume up /down) working

Hi,

I'd like to to use the volume up and volume down keys of my dell laptop in Gnome. However if I go to Desktop Preferences / Multimedia Keys I cannot attach Fn-VolumeUp(PageUp) or Fn-VolumeDown(PageDown) to the appropriate events. It simply doesn't notice that I pushed those keys. With other normal keys it just works fine.

It also doesn't recognize the other multimedia keys. Like changing the contrast. These keys do their job (i.e. change the contrast or what ever they should do), but it seems that they are directly tied to the hardware. GNOME never sees those keys.

Does somebody know how to get the volume up and down keys working?

Thanks

Jaap