Re: Via Epia 5000 Video RAM

Andreas Janssen wrote:
Hello

Tom Allison (<tallison@tacocat.net>) wrote:

I'm trying to install XFree86 and it's asking about video ram.

I don't know how much ram to specify.  The online docs I can find say
it uses system RAM.

Did you try to leave the setting alone? In many cases you do not need to
enter the amount of video RAM, because XFree is able to decect it
automatically. If you want or need to select the size manually, maybe
you should take a look at your BIOS, or at this page:
<http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/viaedenepia5000/index.html>

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

Cool!
Left it blank and it kind of worked.  At least it recovered for me.

There was a time where you _had_ to provide the amount of RAM for your video card.

Under 2.6, how do I configure my mouse?
/dev/input/mice isn't it.

Never mind.  mdetect -v -x did the trick.
I'm staring at my first login screen under the sarge-installer + kernel-image 2.6 on my toy.

This is awesome!!!!!  I'm so geeked.