Re: x-crash (please decipher my log file)

Kent West <westk@acu.edu> writes (I rearranged the citations a bit)
> >Fatal server error:
> >Caught signal 11.  Server aborting
>
> I don't recall if this error number occurs with other non-X-related
> errors, so I'll ask the question: Are you sure it's X that is dying
> and not the failure of X to find a window manager/client which causes
> X to die?

I have fixed the resfresh and the mouse problems. If I start XFree86
directly as root, and I also get the same signal 11. startx gives me
the same signal 11, but I also get

XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0:0"
     after 0 requests (0 known processes) with 0 events remaining

When I run kdm, then following is put in my /var/log/syslog. I believe
that the important line is "Server terminated unexpectedly"

Mar 26 10:13:25 nissefisken kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
Mar 26 10:13:25 nissefisken kernel: atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
Mar 26 10:13:25 nissefisken kernel: atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code 0x7a on isa0060/serio0).
Mar 26 10:13:25 nissefisken kernel: atkbd.c: This is an XFree86 bug. It shouldn't access hardware directly.
Mar 26 10:13:27 nissefisken kdm[4426]: IO Error in XOpenDisplay
Mar 26 10:13:27 nissefisken kdm[4424]: Server for display :0 terminated unexpectedly
Mar 26 10:13:27 nissefisken kdm[4424]: Display :0 cannot be opened

> > Here is the log: (--) PCI:*(1:0:0) nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2
> > MX/MX 400] rev 178, Mem @ 0xce000000/24, 0xc0000000/27, BIOS
> My first suspicion is that the new version of X has changed in its
> support for your nVidia chipset.

I haven't found anything, but perhaps the reason is my lack of control
of Lynx :)

> My second suspicion is that in your old system you had a third-party
> (directly from nVidia?) driver which was wiped out with this upgrade,
> and you'll need to go back to nVidia to get their driver.

A few month ago I was using the third party "nvidia" driver debian
package. However I failed to make it work with the Kernel 2.6.3, so I
removed it. Since then I have been using XFree86 4.0 with the standard
"nv"-driver.

I tried using gdb to debug my XFree86, but when I try this, XFree86
freezes with a black screen and I have to reboot (I have only one
computer). I tried doing "sleep 60 && killall -9 XFree86" in one
terminal and "gdb XFree86" in another termial, but this was not
enough. Is there a tricky way of creating a backtrace of XFree86?
Would such a backtrace be useful?

I can send send all the output, but I am slightly afraid of flooding.
Do Debian gurus use dial-up? :)

                          Thanks for the help
                                Niels

--