Re: use udev

Isaac To <kkto@csis.hku.hk> writes:

>     John> Not a replacement, an extension.  Procfs was originally intended
>     John> to be just for the processor-related info, I think,
>
> Process related, not processor related.

I knew there was something wrong about what I wrote:-)  Thanks for the
correction.

> So far it seems only the device information has moved over.  Things like the
> sysconf interface, net directory, sysvipc information, and files in the root
> directory of the /proc fs, are still only found in /proc.  Anyone has any
> idea about whether they will eventually be moved as well?

I'm not really in the know about what will get moved and what will be
kept in /proc.  I noticed some stuff, like pcmcia and power, has started
being moved to /sys.  But not all devices have been ported to the sysfs
yet, mostly stuff like the 'virtual' devices like ppp.  I have my doubts
about everything being moved over during the 2.6 series.  Although from
what I've read on the kernel mailing list, for the 2.8 series, you are
probably forced to use udev for managing your /dev nodes, because Linus
wants to have random major and minor numbers for device nodes starting
with 2.7.

--
John L. Fjellstad