Re: Some sox questions.

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:00:38 GMT
Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Some other WAVE files that XMMS won't play are described thus:
> RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, ITU G.711 A-law, mono 8000 Hz
> But they can be converted to usable version:
> sox foo.wav -w foo-w.wav

Right.  8000Hz A-law and u-law (.au) files are (were?) intended for use in
digital telephony applications.  You saw them all the time 10 or 15
years ago (u-law especially on Sun boxes), and I guess some applications
still use them; but not many create them anymore.  It's not WAVE
audio in the way most people refer to ".wav" files these days.

xmms' documentation (in /usr/share/doc/xmms/) states what file formats
it supports:

} 5.1 Supported File formats
} -------------------------
}
} OGG Vorbis
} MP2 and MP3 streams
} WAV/AU samples

. . .which tells me that A-law support wasn't put in.

> I'm still curious, however, as to why the WAVE library for XMMS is so
> fussy about the exact file type.

In general, because it needs to know how to convert the audio data into
a PCM stream that a soundcard would know what to do with; that, in turn,
means the developer of xmms has to encode that capability into xmms
(or use a library that provides the needed capability).  If he/she
didn't, then xmms won't know what to do with the data.

I am a little surprised that xmms couldn't do anything with 32-bit, when
it can handle 16-bit.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)