Re: debian and women? from DWN #10

On 2004-03-25, Steve Witt penned:

> I've been on many technical mailing lists since the early '90s and the
> Debian lists since about '96 and I don't recall seeing much flaming
> due to gender. I'm not a woman so maybe I'm completely insensitive to
> it when it happens, but I don't recall seeing much at all. I was a
> little surprised to see mention of it in the DWN. Anyway, its really
> what you know that's important, not your physical characteristics,
> particularly on mailing lists where you don't even see the people
> you're interacting with.

I don't see much flaming, but I do occasionally see (not here) some
comments that could create a "hostile working environment."

I agree with you that it's what you know that *should* be important.
However, just as some people will ignore a black person and "justify" it
with "science," so will some people deal similarly with women.

I think that's my favorite line in GI Jane:

"To them, you're just the new nigger on the block."

--
monique