Re: debian and women? from DWN #10

Hello

Monique Y. Herman (<spam@bounceswoosh.org>) wrote:

> On 2004-03-25, Andreas Janssen penned:
>
>> So far I have not seen any hostility towards women because they were
>> female (at least on the mailing lists and in the usenet groups I
>> read).  I have however seen that in some cases people (newbies) who
>> use women's names (mostly you don't know if the name is faked or not)
>> receive polite answers from the mostly male participants where a male
>> newbie would only have received a "Search the fscking archive/web".
>> In some places (like the SelfHTML forum, http://selfforum.teamone.de)
>> this beahviour has even repeatedly been subject to very long and
>> sometimes heated discussions.
>
> I searched on "weib" on that forum (thinking that "weiblich" would get
> a few hits, but got
>
> "Die Suchanfrage kann momentan nicht entgegen genommen werden. Alle
> Ressourcen sind belegt. Bitte versuchen Sie es in einigen Minuten noch
> einmal."

This has been a problem for a while now. The servers are working at
their limit most of the time, but the SelfHTML project is going to
switch to new hardware soon.

> Any ideas on better searches that I could try in a few minutes?  My
> German can be a bit flakey.

I chose "name weiblich" and selected only the archives.
"Gleichberechtigung" probably is another good search term. Here is one
of the results:

<http://selfforum.teamone.de/archiv/2004/2/71010/#m408675>

This one also looks interesting. Someone thinks men use female names
because they think that way they won't look like a fool it they ask
qustions typical for newbies:

<http://selfforum.teamone.de/archiv/2003/1/34178/#m186104>

best regards
        Andreas Janssen