gdm-greeter doesn't disable itself if xfree86 fails.

At the moment I have trouble starting my xserver. When it fails I get
a nice window with the log file, and afterwards I get a message that
tells me that gdm will disable itself. It tells me to restart gdm
after reconfiguring xfree86 in a better way.

However when I press OK, nothing happens. The gdm process does not
kill itself, and I have to "killall -9 gdm" before restarting gdm.

I would like to change this behavior, because it looks like it may
take a while before my X will work again. Is there an easy way to fix
this? (or should I file a bug report). Which files should I examine to
find out?

I am using Sarge, and I recently upgraded from xfree86 4.0 to
xfree86 4.3

                 thanks in advance
                         Niels

--