Re: gdm login problem

On Thursday 25 March 2004 06:23, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Suddenly I can no longer login to gdm.  When I enter my user name the
> screen goes blank then returns to the login screen.  I created an new
> user and when I tried to log in as this user the screen went blank after
> I entered the new user's password.  I still can login at any of the
> terminal screens with either my user name and password or the new user's
> name and password.
>
> At one point there was a message /dev/null permission denied.  The
> permissions were 666 which seemed like it should be ok to read and write
> to /dev/null but I changed them to 777 to be sure.  Then I no longer got
> the message but the logins failed as above.
>
> Anyone know what I have messed up?
>
> Tom

I had a problem like this that turned out to be related to my system clock.
I was trying to log in with a home directory that was an NFS mount, and the
NFS server clock was different (by a few hours - my time zone was
incorrect).  Once I fixed my clock, it worked.

If that long shot doesn't work, you might search your home directory
and /var and /tmp for lock files, especially if your last "logout" was a
crash.

Justin Guerin