CD/DVD media detection

I'm looking for a program that could detect what kind of medium is inserted in
a CD/DVD writer. Is it a CD or DVD or is the drive empty. On top of that I
would like to know if the inserted medium is empty or not, but that is not
really necessary, because the writing will just fail if the drive is not
empty.

I found support for this in k3b, but I really don't want to take the code from
there as I'm not familiar enough with C++ and it would take too much time to
produce something useful.

Please Cc: your replies, as I'm not subscribed to -user.

thanks,
Borut.