Re: Debian Slow?

Edward Murrell wrote:

> On Sat, 2004-03-06 at 07:16, Jens Benecke wrote:
>> edward@murrell.co.nz wrote:
>>
>> > I'm starting to wonder how much difference gentoo's optimization
>> > actually makes. The labs at uni where I'm writing this from have near
>> > identical
>>
>> /home on NFS makes Gnome/KDE etc. quite slow, because they keep writing
>> cache files there, and NFS generally has worse access times (not
>> necessarily data transfer rates) than harddisks.
>
> That's what I would have thought, but apparently, despite all that, my
> machine, running 2.6.3, Local ReiserFS access to everything, and a
> custom kernel was slower. Go figure.

Hm. Try running "fc-cache" as root, and as user, _before_ starting up KDE.
This will recreate the font cache that fontconfig/xft/... use for display.

If your KDM login window takes very long (>3sec) to appear this might be the
problem, as it does affect other apps as well, especially the startup time.

--
Jens Benecke (jens at spamfreemail.de)
http://www.hitchhikers.de - Europaweite kostenlose Mitfahrzentrale