Re: Debian (Woody) bf2.4 network card problem

Andrew Gilberto wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. So, I'm not entirely sure what I should do with this information! Should I be able to find the tulip driver listed in modconf then? If so, that confuses me a little since the 3c59x driver is in modconf too, but fails to load.

If I shouldn't use modconf to use the tulip driver what should I use?

Thanks again for the help,
Andrew.

Also remember that with bf2.4 kernels, many of the ethernet modules are built-ins in the kernel (not modules/modular). I ran across this with a few machines... first update to a regular Debian 2.4 kernel and poof, no networking. (Because nothing was telling the machine to load the modules.)

Perhaps you're experiencing a backward problem -- the kernel has your card built-in but it's not provisioned correctly. I doubt the kernel maintainer would put a card in monolithically that required I/O or IRQ settings, but perhaps... I do doubt this highly though.

I guess what I'm saying is, get the bf2.4 kernel source and look at the config -- see if your card is compiled in, perhaps with the wrong information for I/O and IRQ settings or in an "auto" mode that is not working correctly on your hardware.

It's worth a look.

Also to save yourself the time of rebooting to change settings, use modprobe <module_name> <settings> to try different modules and/or module settings. Once you figure out what works (without having to reboot all the time) then you can transfer that knowledge into what to turn on with modconf.

Nate Duehr, nate@natetech.com