Re: Text console corruption

On Wednesday March 24 at 06:13pm
Brad Sims <bmsims1@insightbb.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 24 March 2004 4:30 pm, Per Olofsson wrote:
> > I think you're having a problem with hotplug. I have the same
> > problem. The problem is that hotplug automatically loads a
> > framebuffer driver for your video card, which apparently doesn't
> > work very well.
> >
> > The solution is to add the name of your framebuffer module to
> > /etc/hotplug/blacklist. I can also add 'Option "UseFBDev"' to the
> > device section in my XF86Config to get it to work, but that might
> > not work for you.
> >
> > There's already a bug filed, #238321. In fact, I joined this list
> > today because I intended to ask if anyone else was having this
> > problem, as I was told that it was just my hardware/driver that was
> > broken.
>
> Hrm I wonder if this is what is causing mine to go wonky a few hours
> after boot... (I had mentioned this earlier but had no real
> answers...)

Probably not, since this particular case happens during boot
(I have the same problem, kernel 2.6.4, matrox millennium 2), and dumps
you in a broken tty. I get around it by using ping/ssh on other
computers to find out when mine finishes booting, then blindly log in. I
have a script that sets some things and starts X when I log in on tty1
(vc/1 for devfs users), so I don't really care. It's annoying, but not
enough for me to do something about it ;) (yet).
--
-johann koenig
Now Playing: Goldfinger - King For A Day : Goldfinger