Re: Can you run 2 X/KDE sessions at once?

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 15:04, shrevie@ntnation.com wrote:
> Is it possible to run two different X sessions at the same time as two
> different users?
>
> In other words, I want to hit ctrl-alt-F3 (for example), login as
> another user, and run X and KDE while having my regular X/Kde session
> running on ctrl-alt-F7.
>
> When I try to do that now, I end up with an X error because it can't
> open Display 0:0 (since that's already in use of course).
>
> Thanks for any help or ideas!
>
> Moe

If you're using (or want to use) kdm, you might also want to check the
contents of /etc/kde3/kdm/Xservers.  There (as someone on this list
mentioned earlier), you have the option to reserve vt8, vt9, etc. so you
can start them with a k-menu item.  Of course, you can always start them
the way Florian and Kent suggested, without using kdm.

One word of caution, though.  I've heard KDE doesn't like it if you log in
twice as the same user at the same time.  You don't say you're attempting
that, and that's good.

Justin Guerin