Re: Promise or 3Ware?

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 07:42:00PM +0100, Nicos Gollan wrote:
| On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 12:58:16 -0500
| "Derrick 'dman' Hudson" <dman@dman13.dyndns.org> wrote:
|
| > I now need to buy some hardware to set up a 2-disk RAID-1 array for a
| > server.  The server will run debian with kernel 2.6.  The cost
| > (money-wise) is not really an issue.  The disks are ATA/133 (already
| > purchased).  Which would you recommend, and why?
| >
| >     Promise FastTrak TX2000 controller
| >         with 2 Promise SuperSwap 1000 host-swappable drive bays
| >
| >     3Ware Escalade 7006-2 controller (or 7506-4LP model)
| >         with 1 3Ware RDC-400 hot-swappable drive cage
|
| I'd definitely go for the 3Ware because it has better driver support.
| The driver is developed by 3Ware directly and supports all the features
| (there's even monitoring software)  while Promise has a rather bad
| history when it comes to Linux drivers.

Interesting - 2 out of 2 votes against Promise.  I was under the
impression that both brands were good and worked well with linux.
(however I've never had any hardware from either, yet)

| > Say, what's the difference between a 32-bit/66MHz and a 64-bit/66MHz
| > PCI card?  Are there limitations as to what motherboards they will
| > work on?  This particular machine is an older PII.
|
| The 64bit cards essentially have a longer connector which can cause
| hardware problems if you don't have a slot that has some unobstructed
| space where those pins would go. The 3Ware cards should - judging from
| the vendor information - work in 32bit slots, but I guess there can be
| the odd problem with some firmware revisions.

Ok, thanks.

| > --
| > \begin{humor}
| > Disclaimer:
| > If I receive a message from you, you are agreeing that:
| >    1. I am by definition, "the intended recipient"
| >    2. All information in the email is mine to do with as I see fit and
| >    make
| >         such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it
| >         lends itself to. In particular, I may quote it on USENET or
| >         the WWW.
| >    3. I may take the contents as representing the views of your
| >    company. 4. This overrides any disclaimer or statement of
| >    confidentiality that may
| >         be included on your message
| > \end{humor}

| Humor noted, but that sig is a wee bit long... Also:

It is a little long, but it's only one of many chosen at random.  A
little extra length on occaision isn't too bad, IMO.

|  - (La)TeX doesn't come with a "humor" environment

True, but neither does HTML have a <humor> tag; and I thought an
HTML/XML tag wouldn't look as nice.

|  - you should consider using an {itemize}

"enumerate" would give closer results (numbers instead of bullets) but
see above - the markup is meant only to clarify to readers that the
text is meant as a humorous spoof on the all-too-common "this message
is confidential" type disclaimers.  :-)  (it's not my original work -
I copied it from that web site with the writeup about how pointless
the disclaimers are)

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 10:25:56AM -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

| 32bit pci ... cheaper motherboard ( say $50 - $200 range )
|
| 64bit pci ... $250 - $500 motherboards
|       - 64bit pci cards are also more expensive

I was actually looking at it from the other perspective - the
motherboard is already here (32-bit PCI bus) - but I didn't know what
sort of (in)compatibility a newer card would have on the existing bus.

| you can obviously transfer more data on 64bit pci w/o running
| into bandwidth/bottleneck problems on the pci slots

Yeah.

| if $$$ is readily available .. buy the 3ware
|
| if raid monitoring is an issue ... use sw raid1 instead
|
| nobody recommends promise hw raid controllers ( doesnt "work right" )

As I mentioned above I find it interesting that both of you supported
the 3Ware and didn't even give Promise a second thought.

| work right is: ...
|
|       - no data loss ... no hand holding ..
|
|       - pull the disk out while you're writing a 2GB file to disks
|       and insert a fresh disk snd see what happens
|       ( a good raid1 should merrily just write and mirror itself
|       ( to the new/freshly inserted disk
|
|       - while the disk ( hda/ sda ) is out...
|       reboot the system and see if you can do a handsoff
|       ( keyboardless ) boot

I agree on these points.  "work right" means no data loss in every
situation except if both disks crash simultaneously (which is a disk
error outside the RAID system's control).

Thanks for the information!
-D

--
Emacs is a nice operating system, it lacks a decent editor though