ESS Solo1 Sound Driver Question

I am running Debian Sarge installed with the latest d-i. I have
installed Sarge onto my Compaq Presario 1800 laptop twice in the past
few weeks with the d-i. The first time I installed Debian the 2.4.22
Kernel recognized my sound card and added the ESS Solo-1 as a module.
The most recent install used the 2.4.25 kernel and the module/driver did
*not* get added.

What should my next step be? I have tried installing the 2.4.22 Kernel
again with apt-get but the sound card still doesn't get recognized.
'modprobe' doesn't seem to help. I have 'Googled' and looked at the
Archives of this list, but I can't figure out where to download or get
the module I need.

Thanks in advance...

Chris G