Re: Terribly slow gui (gnome&kde)

On Wednesday 24 March 2004 02:58, Mirko Scurk wrote:
> I'm running unstable on DELL optiplex gx270 (nvidia geforce4 mx 440,
> 256MB RAM, P4 ....)
> Linux xyz 2.6.2-1-386
> xserver-xfree8 4.3.0-7
> gnome-core     47 (???) (2.4.....)
> kdebase        3.2.1-1
> kde            3.1.2
>
> X-windows and kdm are starting fast and without problems but when I try
> to start either gnome or kde it takes literally hour(s). Last time I
> measured Splash screen was displayed for 15mins. After any of this is
> loaded system seems to work fine. Top doesn?t reveal anything???
>
> --
> Mirko Scurk

The only time I've seen anything like this, it was due to network problems.
In my specific case, my home directory was an NFS share, and the computer
hosting the share was having problems.  This is probably not your issue,
but it still could be a network related problem.  Do you have something set
to automatically start when you log in to gnome or kde?  Something that
tries to go to the network?

You say top doesn't reveal anything.  Do you mean your load average is low?
Do you mean that your processor is mostly idle?  Both?

Justin Guerin