Re: mkraid could not lock sda2

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 18:27, Michael Webber wrote:
> UPDATE on bottom
>
> [snip]
> my swap partition is  sda1.   I have  turned swap off and I have /dev/md0
> = the mirrored swap ......  but I cant get the   sda2  (all the data and
> stuff)  ...
> so you say I just need to restart?  I have tried that but  ...  it just
> gives errors..  do I need to boot a special way?

So after turning swap off, are you able to initialize the array
using /dev/sda1?  If not, what is the error message you get?

You can't get the sda2 array to come up until you boot without
using /dev/sda2, or you boot from the array.

I forgot your ultimate goal here, but if you want to use raid for your root
partition, you'll have to follow the basic path of:

1) install your system to one of your partitions that will ultimately be
part of your raidset.

2) create your raid set with the drives you boot from marked as damaged
disks.

3) copy your system to your active, one disk only raid array

4) compile a kernel with raid support built in, or make sure your raid
drivers are part of the initial ram disk

5) reboot with that kernel

6) add your "damaged" disks to the array

Note that there's no reason to raid your swap space.  The kernel does this
for you.  You should probably google for more detailed instructions, as
there are plenty of examples.  Also, there are messages in this list that
point to instructions.

Justin