Re: x server not installed

Kevin Mark wrote:

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 11:23:54PM -0600, Kent West wrote:
users@linuxforums.org wrote:

alright i installed debian about a half hour ago

everything went smoothly...i didnt get any errors or anything and i
rebooted the second time.

type startx and it says

/usr/x11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xserverrc no such file or directory

so apparently my x servers in not installed?? lol im really confused
everything seem to go so smoothly in the install

Hi 'User' and Kent,
I know most folks say not to, but 'tasksel' is something I find is ok
for limited use. So I'd say to use tasksel and select x windows and kde.
-Kev
I think the general consensus is to not use tasksel or dselect during installation, not to never use them. The reason being that there's a lot of things that can "go wrong" with these two apps, and most of us feel it's better for the newbie to complete the step of getting a base installation accomplished. Once that base installation is accomplished, running tasksel or dselect is fine; it's just another opportunity for education. But I think most of us feel that hitting that educational opportunity during the actual installation adds too much complexity (conceptually, not in actuality) to the process for a newbie.

When the installation routine was designed it seemed like a good idea to give the installer the opportunity to run these apps as part of the routine; hindsight seems to indicate it should be a separate process (or at least better explained that "the base install is complete and here's some more stuff you can do if you want").

--
Kent