Re: Aptitude Wants to Delete/Remove Way Too Much

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 08:37:30AM +0000, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 21 Mar 2004, Brian Nelson wrote:
> > David Crane <davidcrane@mfire.com> writes:
> >
> > > I did an update in aptitude last night, and it now wants to remove
> > > most of my system "because they are no longer used" or "due to
> > > unsatisfied dependencies."   Since some of those packages are used
> > > every day, I must have broken something.  I have not let aptitude
> > > actually upgrade/uninstall anything yet.  I am looking for advise on
> > > how to reset aptitude's memory of actions to some safe state.
> >
> [snip]
>
> I've noticed something slightly different: aptitude thinks that all my
> packages are on hold. I now do a group + to reset this each time.
>
> AC

Are you using sid? I would say that one of the last versions uploaded
by the maintainer switched the deafults. Any way, to get back to the
old one, you can either write a line
Aptitude::Auto-Upgrade true (Check the syntax before doing it!!!!!!)
in /root/.aptitude/conf, or pick options from the menu bar once
aptitude has started and select-unselect as needed.