Re: restore lilo as boot manager

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 11:32:24PM +0100, ernst wrote:
} I have a problem restoring lilo as my boot manager from a debian/windoze
} installation. It is a laptop only with usb floppy/cdrom.
} The windows installation is on hda1 and the debian installation is on
} hda6.
} I have tryed to boot with "toms root boot" and some other boot disks, but
} no luck so far.
}
} Anyone of you gurus got a solution for this?

You need a Linux rescue disk of some sort. I recommend Knoppix. Once
you've booted from the Knoppix CD (I would boot text-only, i.e. Knoppix
2 at the boot prompt), as root (which you automatically are if you boot
text-only):

1) mount -o suid,dev,rw /mnt/hda6
2) chroot /mnt/hda6
3) lilo

Assuming your lilo.conf on your linux partition is correct (and, if not,
edit it between steps 2 and 3), this will get it working again.

} /e-m
--Greg