Re: mondo / mindi with debian

Joseph wrote:
Is anybody using mondo with Debian?
I'm trying to test "mindi" (ver. 0.86) and I get an error message "Where
is liblvm?"

Could it be because I'm using Knoppix Debian installation?

--
Joseph

I do not know what that means. But this what I do:

I am using mondo with Debian but I don't use the Debian package because I run woody and I had problems with it. (Unbootable CD's)

So I installed mondo-1.67 and mindi-0.87 from their stable tarball.
I changed the mondo-restore.c code (#3265+6) to say "nano" and recompiled. Then I added nano in /usr/local/share/mindo/deplist.txt as a user requirement. I also changed the isolinux.cfg and syslinux.cfg files and added "vga=9" in the append lines.

Now when he boots the CD that he generates he uses nano to edit /etc/lilo.conf and /etc/fstab, instead of acting as if he invokes an editor, but not doing so, because he cannot find vi.

In addition the screen now is readable instead of that horrific 80x25 mode where I cannot see a thing.

I run mondoarchive with:

mondoarchive -O -w 5 -d 0,0,0 -9 -s 650m -k FAILSAFE -l LILO -f /dev/hda -g

meaning I use a CD-RW speed 5 on device 0,0,0 with compression 9 on a 650MB CD and with his kernel, not mine, using lilo on device hda.

You have to download his kernel for that:
http://www.mondorescue.org/download/MondoCD/TGZS/mindi-kernel-1.0.tgz

The packages I installed to support this are:
		libnewt-dev
		afio
		mkisofs
		cdrecord
		eject
		gawk
		dosfstools

There is a mailing list that is mirrorred on gmane.

The author seems less-receptive to Debian related problems, as the console messages show.

But... it is a superior tool. You dump a partition to CD's and you boot (on a different or the same machine) with them to restore your data. I use it all the time to do my backups.

Hugo.