Re: Installing netatalk on Debian (Woody)

On Sun, Mar 21, 2004 at 12:30:41PM -0800, mike wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Mar 2004 10:23:02 -0000, Roland Dunn wrote
> > Hi,
> >
> > Anyone had any experience of installing netatalk on Debian (Woody)?
> > I have read that it  requires a kernel recompile but wondered
> > whether this is truly the case? Is it not possibly as  simple as apt-
> > get netatalk?
> Its as simple as that.
> # apt-get install netatalk
>

> > I've installed the idepci version of DEBIAN (Woody) - anyone know if
> > netatalk installed in any  of the other ver's? E.g. vanilla, or bf24?
> Should work.
>
> > Incidentally, where can one find the list of packages that one can
> > supply to apt-get as  parameter? netatalk might not be the correct
> > package name, but I'm unsure how to find out what  is the correct name.
>
> You can use apt to search packages and package info.
> For example:
> # apt-cache search netatalk
> or
> # apt-cache search apple |more
> Once you have your package name:
> # apt-cache show netatalk
>
> Note: If your running OSX clients, you may want to look at the netatalk
> package from sarge or sid.

I'm running OSX on one iMac and OS 9.2 on another. Both access two Debian
machines, one running Woody, the other running Sarge. Both netatalk are
strictly "out of the box" installations.

Out of the box, each person who is a known user of a Debian host can
access files in his home directory on that Debian host.  If you want
to have the Macs access to anything besides the home directory of a
single user of a Debian box, you need to edit the netatalk config file
in order to tell it what else should be accessable. I've never done
that, but I'm sure its not hard.  Debian netatalk is much easier to
set up than RedHat was the last time I did it a few years ago.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com