Re: CUPS

On Sunday 21 March 2004 00:50, Alan Shutko wrote:

> Adam Funk <a24061@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> What's the difference between lp and lpr (other than the option
>> syntax)? I think I had a bad /etc/printcap until I ran
>> magicfilterconfig, so I don't think lp would have worked.
>
> If you have only the CUPS lp and lpr clients, the only difference is
> the option syntax.

I thought CUPS itself didn't provide those commands, which you get by
installing lpr|lprng|cupsys-bsd?

> They don't use the printcap at all.  The cups server can generate a
> fake printcap so that applications which look at it to determine
> which printers are available work.

Well, I had a lot of problems getting my printer to work all three ways
(from GUI applications, from the console lpr command and from another
computer by Samba).  In particular, when I installed cupsys-bsd the lpr
command seemed not to do anything until I ran magicfilterconfig.

But I did find the whole process rather confusing so I don't really know
what I'm talking about.