Re: /dev/cdrom and 2.6 - what should /dev look like and how do I get there the Right Way

Hello

Peter Sebastian Masny (<ps-list@masny.dk>) wrote:

> I want to try to get my cd burner working with 2.6, but the mappings
> in /dev are weird.  My cdrom is on hdd (not hdc).
>
> /dev contains:
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root      11 Dec 14 22:31 cdrom ->
> /dev/cdrom0
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root      8 Dec 14 22:31 cdrom0 -> /dev/hdc
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root      8 Nov 25 12:14 cdrom1 -> /dev/hdc
> brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,  64 Oct  4 06:48 hdd

Looks like discover did this.

> Should I change this directly by hand or is there an automated way?
> Also, I want the cd device to be in the "cdrom" group, but not hdd in
> "cdrom" (someday, hdd may be used by a hard drive in my system.. who
> knows...)

You can change this manually. However, if you use discover, maybe it
will revert your changes. You should link cdrom to hdd and change
ownership for hdd from root.disk to root.cdrom. With kernel 2.6 you
won't need ide-scsi emulation for cd writing (if your cd writing
applications are new enough).

> /dev also has a bunch of other references to cdroms, but they are not
> familiar to me.
>
> How should I fix this the Right Way?
> [...]

I think you can leave these device files alone.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

PGP-Key-ID: 0xDC801674
Registered Linux User #267976