Re: Linux clients in network - experiences? [OT] biometric id

On Sat, Mar 20, 2004 at 02:01:30AM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> [snip]
> Until a safe-for-use retina scanner happens, I really don't
> realistically see any biometric identification happening.

I think it is much harder problem that you suppose. ANY scanner device
has a digital output which is encoded and sent to a central server for
comparison with a database of approved scanner outputs. In this chain
of transmission there are many interfaces that must have well defined
and open specifications.  If an attacker has physical access to the
hardware at any of these interface locations, the system is not
secure.

I suppose retina scanners might be useful as part of an access secuity
system that is totally in the hands of the security police. Such might
be the case for passangers boarding an airline, but a retinal scanner
built into a wi-fi laptop is silly technology.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com