Re: Microsoft Truetype fonts not working now?

On 20 Mar 2004, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Hello
>
> Anthony Campbell (<ac@acampbell.org.uk>) wrote:
>
> > I just tried to install Microsoft TrueType fonts on my laptop via the
> > msttcorefonts package. All seemed to go off correctly and the fonts
> > appeared where expected in
> > /var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType/ I also modified
> > /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 as instructed to reflect the above path. I also
> > tried "xset fp rehash".
> >
> > However, the fonts do not show up with xfontsel and when starting X I
> > get an error message about not being able to init the above path.
>
> Maybe there is no fonts.scale and/or fonts.dir file in that directory.
> Install the ttmkfdir package, run the command in your true type fonts
> directory, and use fonts.dir and fonts.scale for the output.

[snip]

No, these files are there. And ttmfdir complains that  there is no file
called /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/encodings/microsoft-win3.1.enc.
Oddly enough, I dont't have such a file on my desktop either, yet the
fonts are working there.

Perhaps I should file a bug report.

AC

--
ac@acampbell.org.uk    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic