Re: ipopd and "unknown authorization state command"

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 23:40:11 +0100, "Jaldhar H. Vyas"
<jaldhar@debian.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004, Matthijs wrote:
>
> > As far as I know, ipopd is the only(?) pop3-server that can also pop
> > IMAP accounts.
>
> Dovecot also supports POP3 and IMAP.

Mmmm... I've given it a try, but:
- When POPping from my windows-PC on the same network, I get:
"Connection to host broken (last commands sent were: "PASS", "STAT")"
- When using telnet:
telnet 192.168.1.2 110
+OK dovecot ready.
user <username>
+OK
pass <password>
+OK Logged in.

Connection to host lost.

... so directly after logging in, the connection is lost.

Strange though, immediately after I installed it, it worked for a
short time:
- First I POPped from my windows PC without problems (no new mail
retrieved);
- Then, using squirrelmail, I accessed my Inbox (which under the hood
uses IMAP. Logged in without problems, no mail in my Inbox
- A few seconds later, I tried to access my Inbox again via
squirrelmail but got a vague error:
ERROR : Could not complete request.
Query: SELECT "INBOX"
Reason Given: Internal error [2004-03-20 12:59:13]
- From then on, POPping was also not possible anymore.

Dovecot version: 0.99.10.4-3
Debian unstable

> Is /etc/c-client.cf properly set up?  See
> /usr/share/doc/libc-client*/README.Debian

Good tip. Probably plain text passwords are not enabled.
Probably in the previous version of ipod (packaged with Debian
stable), plain tex passwords were enabled but disabled in later
versions. I'll see if I can get this configured correctly... Thanks!
--
Matthijs
vanaalten@hotmail.com