ipopd and "unknown authorization state command"

Yesterday I upgraded to Debian 'unstable', and unfortunately ipopd is
broken. When I connect from another machine in my LAN via telnet:
telnet 192.168.1.2 110
... and then issue 'user vanaalten', I get the message
Unknown AUTHORIZATION state command

User 'vanaalten' is a valid user.

>From what I read on the net, this may not be a bug but intentional, to
prevent non-ssl communication with ipopd.

I think I've got a good reason to use ipopd instead of qpopper:
When I use the webmail client (squirrelmail) on the machine, all mail
is transfered to an IMAP account. At some point however, I want to POP
all my mail (including the mail in the IMAP account) to another PC.
As far as I know, ipopd is the only(?) pop3-server that can also pop
IMAP accounts.

Any suggestions on how to solve this problem?

--
Matthijs
vanaalten@hotmail.com