xterm double-click to select words like "cups-bsd", "/var/log"

I frequently double-click with the left mouse button from a previous
xterm displayed result like
   ii  cupsys
   ii  cupsys-bsd
Here, double-clicking "cupsys" highlights the whole word,
but double-clicking "cupsys-bsd" highlights only "cupsys",
since double-clicking sees a word boundary at characters like
   -
   /
   space
As a result, I must left-click and drag my mouse over the word
   cupsys-bsd
which is several times slower (perhaps 2 seconds).
HOW CAN I GET DOUBLE-CLICKED WORDS TO HIGHLIGHT EVERYTHING BETWEEN
SPACES; eg, all of "cupsys-bsd" or all of "/var/log/messages"?

After either double-clicking or a more awkward highlighting,
I click the middle mouse button to drop (ie, copy) my words "cupsys" and
"cupsys-bsd", forming a command-line like
   dpkg -L  cupsys  cupsys-bsd  |xargs zgrep -i lpadmin
This is a quick way to form command-lines
that would be quicker if double-clicked words were delimited
not by any "-" or "/", but by spaces only.

--
Jameson C. Burt, NJ9L   Fairfax, Virginia, USA
jameson@coost.com       http://www.coost.com

LTSP.org:  magic "mysterious and awe-inspiring even though
                  we know they are real and not supernatural"