Re: dsl Verizon.com

Easiest way I found to connect to verizon DSL was to purchase Linksys
BEFSR41 cable/DSL router and connect through that. You just setup the
router up to login to verizon and plug the ethernet cable from your
network card into the router. You can either set up static IP on your
computer or setup DHCP since the router can be configured as DHCP server.
Verizon supports this type of setup so it is easiest to setup and
maintain.

I have also used a old PC as gateway running pppoe, but I found verizon
kept "improving" the software on their end and breaking the connection.
It is pretty much useless to talk to their techs and get any kind of
useful information from them. If you want to try connecting with pppoe,
I think you will need to add 'default-asyncmap' as an option to the
dsl-provider file. If you want to go this route, I'd have to set up old
PC to check details of the configuration files.

Easiest setup for mail is to use mozilla mail. You can pretty much
follow verizon's instructions for setting up netscape mail under
windows.

I use fetchmail-exim4(previously exim 3)-procmail-mutt for mail. If you want to
do this, you will need to configure exim to use plaintext authentication
to send mail through outgoing.verizon.net. If you want to go this way,
let me know and I'll post more detailed instructions for this.

--
Jerome