Laptop net card module

After installing Debian on a laptop everything was working fine.

Then after updating to 2.4.18, however, the pcmcia netcard doesn't work.

I've determined the following:

The module [xirc2ps_cs.o] isn't installed. It seems to be related to another module: ds.o, but when I try to install ds.o, I get the following error: no socket drivers loaded. This error also pops up during boot. So, it would seem that I have to install sockets?

The insmod error for ds.o seems also related to the fact that the IO or IRQ parameters are invalid. Do I need to insmod ds.o with parameters?

Thanks.

Curtis