Bourne Shell help

I think this should be an easy question, but after some effort I still haven't found an answer, and am really curious now!

I wanted to run a compile in the background (in a bourne shell) and dump stderr and stdout to a file....should be simple enough, but obviously I don't spend enough time in 'sh' to know the answer. I tried this:

      nice make build > /root/XF4-make.out 2>&1 &

and it doesn't work quite right. If I drop the final '&', the command runs fine in the foreground, and dumps stdout and stderr to the file, so that part of things seems ok. It's just getting it to run in the background that has stumped me. I wrote a one liner script to do the job...but it's still really bugging me, can anyone tell me how to do it from the command line?
Cheers!

Paul