Font problem (xpdf): "No display font"

I am no longer (maybe since two weeks ago) able to view the pdf-files i
produce with pdflatex with xpdf.
(The pdf-files are OK on other computers.)

xpdf starts up, gives a lot of error messages (see below), and shows the
document with no text.  Only the coloured frames around links are
visible.

I have read manual pages, searched Google, tried to verify font paths
and generally worked hard for a few day trying to sort this out, but I
seem to be no closer to a solution to the problem.  And this problem is
seriously hindering my work.  Does anyone have any advice, or at least a
pointer to a thorough tutorial on how the font system works?

The system is Debian testing on an ASUS L5800C laptop.

With kind regards
Asbjørn Sæbø

Error: No display font for 'Courier'
Error: No display font for 'Courier-Bold'
Error: No display font for 'Courier-BoldOblique'
Error: No display font for 'Courier-Oblique'
Error: No display font for 'Helvetica'
Error: No display font for 'Helvetica-Bold'
Error: No display font for 'Helvetica-BoldOblique'
Error: No display font for 'Helvetica-Oblique'
Error: No display font for 'Symbol'
Error: No display font for 'Times-Bold'
Error: No display font for 'Times-BoldItalic'
Error: No display font for 'Times-Italic'
Error: No display font for 'Times-Roman'
Error: No display font for 'ZapfDingbats'
Error: Couldn't find a font for 'Times-Roman'
Error: Couldn't find a font for 'Times-Roman'
Error: Couldn't find a font for 'Times-Bold'