Re: iptables and snort

On Thu, Mar 18, 2004 at 09:36:33PM -0000, Col @ Home wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am trying to set up a firewall on a Debian linux machine using iptables. New
> to linux, can anybody point me in the direction of
> a good guide to configuring a firewall using iptables?

There a howto in /usr/share/doc/iptables IIRC. should be on tldp.org
also.

> I also want to get snort and acidlab going. Any help on that would be
> appreciated as well.

I've tried snort. apt-get install snort worked fine for me. Don't know
any more. Ethereal is another option. My knowedge is as for snort.

> I am a bit paranoid about security, are there any programs that can perform
> security audits?

If you have another system use it to run Nessus. I threw a Knoppix CD in
my newer(primarily Win98) box and scanned my systems and it found quite
a few problems - mainly as I was running unupdated Woody but also some
config problems. Undoutably someone else will resopnd with other
packages.

Brian