Re: Question re Debian versions

"Monique Y. Herman" <spam@bounceswoosh.org> writes:

>> Sometime after that, I'll want to upgrade from Woody to Sarge on my
>> base machine; a few months after that, I'll consider moving my test
>> machine to Sid.
>
> I'm no expert, but I think this is not quite right.
>
> At the moment, Woody = stable, Sarge = testing, and Sid = unstable.
>
> *my understanding* is that, after Sarge becomes stable, it will look
> like this:
>
> Sarge = stable, ??? = testing, Sid = unstable
>
> In other words, I think Sid will remain the cutting edge distro of the
> debian system.

That's right, though I wish it wasn't.  It used to be if you wanted to
stay on the cutting edge, you could set your sources.list to unstable,
and you'd track that.  If you decided you wanted to drop away from
unstable, you change your sources.list to the codename, in which you'd
automatically get moved to testing, frozen, stable and old as that
version worked it's way down.

: :'  :
`. `'`     proud Debian admin and user
  `-       Debian.  Because it *must* work.  debian.org   aboutdebian.com