Re: Text console corruption

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:35:25 -0600
Jorge Santos <jsf@ciencias.unam.mx> wrote:

> Hello, as of today I have been having some text console corruption
> issues, basically, the console comes up with nothing but colorful
> vertical lines and it doesn't change no mather what I do, well
> actually I can get different useless patterns after booting X :-).
>
> Nevertheless, I can login blindly and X will come up all right.
>
> The corruption starts after a while in the bootup process.  I have a
> Matrox M200 video card and the problem _may_ have been triggered by a
> recent upgrade (maybe a kernel issue?) (I'm using Sid).
>
> Does anyone have any idea how I may fix or work around this problem.

I can't offer much by way of a workaround or solution, but I do believe
that this is unlikely to be specifically related to the Matrox card as
I've seen similar behaviour with both an Nvidia (using the nv drivers) and
an SiS. With the Nvidia it is generally only triggered when X is killed by
an OOM condition whereafter the text consoles contain a snapshot of the
X-display. The SiS seems to be related to marginal video modes as I've
also seen the monitor complain about out of range refresh rates (on the
TEXT consoles).

I know this is not much helpin itself but I submit it in the hope that it
may give someone else some clues.

James

--
James Tappin,             O__      "I forget the punishment for using
james@tappin.me.uk       --  \/`    Microsoft --- Something lingering