Re: Installing Win4Lin On Sarge

Thanks for your response:

I was able to get Win4Lin installed today and will be writing up a
'newbie' howto later.  I use Debian Sarge installed with the newest
(final) installer. The use of Grub instead of Lilo made this project
MUCH less of a hassle IMHO.

Here's the run-down of what I had to do:

1.) Downloaded the patches from the NeTraverse website for the 2.4.25
kernel

2.) Downloaded the Debian source files for the 2.4.25 kernel with
apt-get - the kernel.org sources won't work (in this instance)
apparently because of a cramfs/initrd problem.

3.) The Netraverse patches are not gzipped - they save as '*.patch'
files. I was unable to use them until I first 'gzip'-ed them up.

4.) The patching instructions from NeTraverse are not suitable for
Debian. I instead followed the instructions from Marcel Holtmann's site
http://www.holtmann.org/linux/kernel/debian.html - WITH ONE CRUCIAL
EXCEPTION: when running 'make-kpkg kernel-image' I had to add the
'--initrd' option - 'make-kpkg --initrd kernel-image'.

5.) Installed the resulting .deb file (in '/usr/src/') with 'dpkg -i'
and it installed flawlessly into Grub.

After rebooting with the new (patched) kernel Win4Lin installed
perfectly! Windows 98 runs like a scalded dog and I have Adobe Photoshop
and all my Macromedia products running beautifully.

Hope this helps someone...

Chris Gray