Re: ide-scsi emulation not working

Apparently, _Enrique Samson Jr._, on 03/17/04 23:43,typed:
I haven't seen this whole thread, but have you told the kernel on
bootup to assign that to the ide-scsi module?  The ide-cd module will
grab it first if not told to ignore it...

on grub: kernel /vmlinuz ro root=/dev/hda5 hdd=ide-scsi

i think you meant this line. it didn't work.

There are other steps needed too:

1) Make a file (I called it cdrw) in /etc/modules that loads proper modules, in my case, I have:
$> more cdrw
#file created by HS,14Mar2004, to make CD-ROM seen as a SCSI device instead
#of as a ATAPI device.
#
# As suggested in CD Writing HOWTO
#
# This assumes IDE-CD is a module rather than copmiled into kernel.
#
options ide-cd ignore="hdd"
alias scd0 sr_mode
pre-install sg          modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install sr_mod      modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install ide-scsi    modprobe ide-cd

2)run "update-modules" to make this take effect

3) Make the /etc/modules file look like this:
$> cat /etc/modules
# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.
#
# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are
# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with
# a "#", and everything on the line after them are ignored.

sr_mod
sg
ide-cd
ide-detect
$>

4) Have this line in your grub.conf with ide-scsi=hdd option:
kernel   /vmlinuz-2.4.24-1-686 root=/dev/hdb5 hdd=ide-scsi ro single

where my CD-RW is /dev/hdd, change accordingly.

Then of course you should have a mount point, e.g. /cdrw, and a device /dev/cdrw linked to /dev/scd0, and a line in fstab corresponding to this mount point:
/dev/cdrw       /cdrw   auto    ro,user,noauto              0     0

Also note that /dev/sg* shoudl all be owned root:cdrom and that you should be a member of the "cdrom" group.

Reboot machine and give the command "cdrecord -scanbus" and you should see your SCSI emulated CD-RW.

HTH,
->HS

--
(Remove all underscores,_if any_, from my email address to get the correct one. Apologies for the inconvenience, but this is to reduce spam.)