Re: Installing from iso images.

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 02:11:59PM +1100, bob parker wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 07:44, Pigeon wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 06:00:41AM +1100, bob parker wrote:

> > > When I use apt-get install whatever it comes back and asks for cdrom #x
> > > to be inserted. What I want to know is there some way I can divert this
> > > requirement to the corresponding iso image mounted on /mnt via the
> > > loopback device?

> > If you're loopback-mounting individual isos as required, I think you
> > can just switch to another VC and symlink /dev/cdrom to the mounted
> > image. If you've got them mounted all the time, you can stick deb file:
> > statements in /etc/apt/sources.list pointed at the mounted images.
> > (Can't remember the syntax off the top of my head but a combination of
> > man sources.list and experimentation should get you there :-) )
>
> So far my experimenting + man sources.list has done no good at all. I'll try
> your first idea if I have to, but I made a tiny script to take care of the
> mounting and unmounting of the 7 isos so I'd like to get it going if I could.
> The examples on the man page for using file: go nowhere.

Rather than treat them as ISO images, if you're going to have the images
permanently stored on the HD, why not just copy the contents of the
CDROMS into directories on an ext{2,3}, reiserfs - or whatever your
poison - filesystem and then in your sources.list, define it as "deb
file:..." instead of "deb cdrom:.."  If you did a raw copy of all files
on the cdrom, all the control packages would be present, would they not,
and a simple <pkgmanager> update would update the apt database, would
it not?