Re: Reading output of 'dpkg -l'

Colin Watson wrote:
On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 06:14:00PM +0000, john gennard wrote:

I can't read the full descriptions of certain packages in the above output.

I had the same problem some time ago and Colin Watson gave me
a command to change the column width of the output. Now I'm
embarrassed to say I cannot find his response (I did save it but
Lord knows where, and I can't find it by searching the archives).
Someone help me out, please?

  COLUMNS=<number> dpkg -l

Cheers,

I saw that in the man page before, but on woody it seems to do nothing:

export COLUMNS=2
dpkg -l

puts out 4 columns.

Hugo